Tuesday, February 26, 2013

French Beef Stew

To all my loyal readers, I apologize for going MIA for so long. Work has been super hectic since I returned from New Orleans, but it has not all been for nothing...Last week I officially received my promotion! Yay me!

I went home this weekend to celebrate my promotion with my parents and to celebrate my brother's and his girlfriend's birthdays (who happen to only be three days apart, how cute is that?!). Friday we went to St. James in Suburban Square, which is super convenient since I take the Amtrak to the Ardmore stop (aka 35 yards away.) On Saturday we all went to the amazing sushi restaurant Nectar and chowed down like it was going out of style.

Although I have not been blogging, I have been cooking. I made this recipe on a cold Sunday when I had time to watch the bubbling, boiling mix become a delicious stew. It was perfect for a snowy day.

Ingredients

3 lb. cubed stew beef
750ml bottle of Bordeaux or Cote du Rhone
Salt and black pepper
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
5 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
5 carrots, peeled and cut into slices
1 orange, washed and cut into wedges
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
Olive oil
16 oz. can of tomato past
4 oz. pitted black olives, chopped

Directions

1. Season meat with salt and pepper on all sides. Please meat in a large Ziploc bag with wine, thyme, bay leaves, parsley, carrots, onion, garlic and orange wedges. Cover and marinated in the fridge over night--at least 12 hours, perfect would be 24.

2. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large stockpot. Remove the meat from the marinade and brown the pieces. Pour the marinade over the meat and bring to a boil. Keep at a rolling boil for 5 minutes, skimming off the foam.


3. Lower the heat to simmer, stir in tomato paste and add about 5 cups of water. Cover and let stew on low heat for 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally.

4. 15 minutes before the stew is ready, add the pitted olives. Let cook for 15 minutes on medium heat without the lid to thicken. Serve over mashed potatoes, as I did, rice or pasta


No comments:

Post a Comment