Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Beer Steamed Mussels

Those of you that also read my restaurant review blog (winenfoodie.blogspot.com), you're already well aware that mussels are one of my favorite food groups. For those of you who only read this blog, I'm sure this fact doesn't surprise you since I think it's pretty clear that I adore me some seafood...and why should mussels be any different?

Mussels are indeed one of my favorite food groups...if the food pyramid still existed, rather than the very snazzy new food plate (nice work Mama Obama!), shellfish would be in the second tier. I eat shellfish a lot. Mussels, shrimp, scallops, clams, I'm not very particular. And I like cooking these at home because they are SO fast and easy to make, it's pretty unbelievable. I'm big into quick meals since I often come home from work late and I just want something delicious in my mouth and filling my belly, and mussels are exactly that. From start to finish, this meal took me 10 minutes. It might have taken a bit longer, but I asked my fish monger to debeard the mussels...which I highly recommend cause, lets be honest, that stuff is gross.

On another note, while I was waiting for the mussels to steam, I sliced my brussel sprouts for tonight's meal, which I'll also be blogging about...slow cooked salmon topped with shredded brussel sprouts, based on a delish entree my mom get at Mercer Kitchen

Beer-Steamed Mussels



prior to steaming

Ingredients:

1 lb. mussels, scrubbed and debearded
1 medium shallot, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup of pale ale or wheat beer
3 tbsp butter
1 tbps chopped parlsey


steamed

Directions:

1. Scrub and debeard (if your fish monger hasnt) your mussels. Throw out any with open shells or that are broken. 

2. Heat a pot (that you have a lid for) over medium-high heat. Heat olive oil in the pan; add the shallots and garlic and saute. Add mussels and beer and stir. Put the top on the pot and let steam for about 2 minutes--open, stir again so that all the mussels will be flavored, and put the top back on. Steam for another 2-3 minutes, until the shells open.

3. Transfer mussels to serving bowl with a slotted spoon. Continue to simmer liquid; add butter and parsley, stir once and remove from heat. Continue to stir in butter. Pour over mussels and serve immediately.

I served my mussels with toasted french bread to sop up all of the delicious broth. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment