Wednesday, March 21, 2012

#PhotoFail...Stuffed Flank Steak

This blog is titled #photofail. As some of you know, my christmas gift from my fabulous aunt was a brand new Nikon D5100 SLR. Since then, I've been testing out all of my settings (and sometimes screwing up the settings and causing myself to need to trek to B&H to have them correct it...) as I learn how to use my fancy new camera. Well, over the weekend I was taking photos in black and white to test out my effects and, of course, forgot to put the settings back to the ones I use for my food photos.


Thus, my fabulously colorful stuffed flank steak is, instead...gray. Many shades of gray at least but, alas, gray food is not the most appetizing thing ever. You'll just have to trust me that this flank steak was a brilliant (and bloody) red, my roasted red peppers mix was a melange of colors, and the red wine was, of course, red. I guess there was a lot of red ingredients which I've noticed for the first time since my pictures are GRAY. ugh. #blogfail


Stuffed Flank Steak



see? Gray. Gray food is NOT appetizing. Ugh. But this is one of the few meat recipes I've made so...tough.


Ingredients:


1 1/2 lb of flank steak (or bracciole meat, top round, etc.--thin and roll-able is the name of the game)
1 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
1 cup fresh mozzarella, chopped
Basil, chopped
Olive oil
2 cups red wine
2 cups beef stock
Salt and black pepper


Directions:


1. Lay your flank steak on your cutting board and tenderize. Salt and pepper both sides.



more gray. graygraygray.


2. Mix your red peppers, mozzarella, basil and a bit of olive oil in a bowl. Spoon mixture over the flank steak.



Gray is one of my two favorite colors to wear (the other, obvi, being black) I dont think I like to eat it.


3. Because I used flank steak, it is thick, so I piled my mixture in the middle and simply rolled the ends together and use toothpicks to hold. If you're using a thinner cut, like braciole, roll the meat like a rug and use kitchen twine or string to keep it together.



Seriously, I apologize for these awful pictures. 


4. In a pot on the stove over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add the flank steak to brown slightly. Then add the red wine and chicken stock. If you'd like to make this a whole meal, prior to adding the steak, add onion, carrot, potatoes, or whatever vegetable strikes your fancy. Then it will all cook down in the liquid together. Cook for about 40 minutes, or until the meat is cooked through to your liking.




So I officially hate the color gray. I must say, however, that I love this meal. Don't let the unappetizingly boring pictures turn you off of trying this.

No comments:

Post a Comment