Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Easiest Breakfast Ever

As I've admitted before, I'm not a big breakfast person. It's not that I don't like eating in the morning, it's just that I really don't like very many breakfast foods--at least not in big enough portions to be a legit meal. My mum LOVES herself some pancakes and waffles, and I like taking a bite, but I could never finish an entire plate. I'm also not really a plain eggs person, although I do enjoy a ham and cheese omelet. Which isn't exactly the healthiest way to start your day.

After going to Miraval, I got hooked on oatmeal. Yes, oatmeal! Not that crappy kind from a bag that takes a minute in the microwave though (yuck--and so much sugar added!) Nope, I became addicted to steel cut oats. Which are a miraculously easy breakfast to make. On Sunday, it took me about 30 minutes to make a pot of steel cut oats that will last me literally an entire week. And, since we all know I get bored easily by eating the same thing, I can add different toppings and make the oatmeal a new meal every single day. It's perfect for me, who is not a morning person and does not want to spend time cooking in the a.m. Instead, after making the pot, I simply microwave the oats for about a minute, stir in my toppings, and eat! #breakfast victory

Steel Cut Oatmeal



Ingredients:

1 c. steel cut oats
4 c. water
Toppings (for example, brown sugar and cinnamon; fruit like blueberries, bananas, strawberries; dried fruit; maple syrup; etc.)

Directions:



1. Bring your water to boil on the stove top on high heat. Once it has boiled, add the oats into the pot.



2. Cook the oats, with heat still on high, for about five minutes, until the oats start to thicken. Lower your heat to a simmer and cook until water is absorbed, about 30 minutes or so.



3. Once the oats are cooked, you can eat immediately and store in the fridge. To reheat the oatmeal, simply place in a microwave safe container and microwave for one minute or so. I like to add a bit of milk once hot, and my favorite toppings are brown sugar and dried cranberries.

This is the perfect breakfast for people who don't have a lot of time in the morning but don't want to buy breakfast or eat a granola bar, or someone who just wants a healthy start to their day! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment