Monday, September 10, 2012

Oven-fried Fish Tacos

Who doesn't love tacos? Seriously. I get that they're traditionally Mexican, but in my opinion, they're as American as hamburgers and apple pie. And being saying that is a big deal - I mean, after all, I am a Daughter of the American Revolution. Yep, true fact. My mum's side of the family is very proud of that fact that, although they cook like the Italians, they can trace a lineage to people who lived in the colonies. Crazy, right? How do you even follow that family tree back that far?

I digress.

Tacos!!! Tacos are American! I mean, they're served at school lunches. I'm pretty positive that Taco Tuesday was a part of many families dinner plans - before there was Sea Salt n Pepa's Sunday Meal Planning, there was eating the same meal every week on the same day (our consistent meals were meatballs - mum - and meatloaf - dad) 

But man, we had a lot of tacos too. And I never got tired of tacos. My parents loved it because, well, let's be honest...all you need to do is brown a pound of ground beef on the stove with premade seasoning, heat up some premade shells, slice a head of lettuce and put out some shredded cheese. We weren't exactly fancy. We could dish that meal up in ten minutes, easy. Which is why it was so common in every single house I've ever been it. 

Well now we're grown up, and our tacos are grown up too. They now include such craziness as beans (I absolutely hated beans when I was young. HATED. Now I think they make up 1/4 of each plate I eat), salsa (I only liked taco sauce because it was smooth), corn salsa, and even more unusual dishes. I've had shrimp tacos with cabbage slaw. I've had shredded pork tacos. I've even had seared scallops tacos with cucumber salsa. 

This dish is as easy as the original with the added benefit of being fancy enough to serve to an adult crowd. It's even healthy, since the fish isn't realllllly fried, it's just cooked through in the oven!


About a pound of white fish (I used sole) for a family of four
Two eggs
Panko bread crumbs
Taco shells
White rice, black beans, toppings

Preheat your oven to 450F. Set up your dredging station. In one bowl, crack your two eggs and mix. In another, pour panko bread crumbs. Rinse and pat dry your fish fillets.



Dredge your fish on both sides in the egg wash and then in panko, making sure to coat completely. Place each fillet on a baking dish that has been oiled (I used PAM canola spray, obvs).




Place your fish in the oven and cook for about 8 - 10 minutes, until the fish is flaky and the panko is golden brown. Remove from the pan and serve.




I served my fish with white rice, black beans that had been heated on the stove, corn salsa and guacamole. Boy did these go over well!




No comments:

Post a Comment