Monday, August 20, 2012

Charred Corn Salsa

This weekend, I went to the absolutely amazing Riverpark (Tom Colicchio's newest restaurant) with my aunt for dinner. When we were discussing where we should go, she started by saying that eats basically anything except...well not Greek...and not really Spanish...

Our discussion spurred my own internal dialogue on the kinds of cuisine that I eat. I'm kind of like my aunt...I eat everything...well except Indian. The harder question is...what is my favorite kind of cuisine? I'm pretty much a huge fan of all cuisines. My perpetual favorites are, unsurprisingly if you follow me on Twitter, Japanese (hellooooo sushi!) and Italian (specifically antipasti that includes crispy bread, delish olive oil, hard and soft cheeses, proscuitto, hard salami and olives.)

But besides those two perpetual favorites, I'm kind of like the seasons and my favorite changes periodically. This spring I was absolutely obsessed with Greek food. I could not even begin to explain the amount of money I spent at two of my fave Greek restaurants, Kefi and Periyali. When my friend came back from a Eurotrip that included time in Barcelona and Ibiza, Spanish food was on my menu (still DYING to try Tertulia). I think it is safe to say that I am not turning to the Mexican phase of my year...lately nothing sounds better than a Don Julio margarita, guacamole with blue corn chips followed by an enchilada or burrito. Which reminds me--I need to share the absolute easiest, but, more importantly, delicious recipe for pulled chicken.

Lately, corn salsa has topped every Mexican thing that has passed through my lips. So who am I to miss an opportunity to liven up the flavor of a basic corn salsa by charring it on the grill and throwing in a habanero pepper?

Charred Corn Salsa



Ingredients:

Four ears of corn on the cob
Olive oil
1 orange bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1 habanero pepper, minced
Cilantro
One lime

Directions:

1. Shuck the ears of corn. Place the corn in the microwave for four minutes. Remove from the microwave and let cool slightly. Put olive oil in a small bowl and brush olive oil on all sides. Grill the corn for four more minutes, turning frequently. The corn should start to blister but not burn.

2. Once the corn is cooked, allow to cool so you can handle. Slice the corn off of the cob into a large bowl. Add the chopped bell pepper and red onion to the bowl. Also add the habanero, but ensure that the pepper is minced into small pieces so that each bite has a hint of the spice (if it is in larger pieces, one bite will be super spicy and the next will be mild).

3. Shred your cilantro and combine with the veggies. Cut your lime in half and juice over the bowl. Toss together. Allow the mixture to sit for about 20 minutes so all the flavors blend.

This is amazing on top of tacos, fajitas, burritos, etc. and goes with both vegetarian and meat options. I recommend plopping some delicious guacamole on top also. Enjoy!

3. Add the red bell pepper, orange bell pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment