Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Grilled Shrimp Gremolata with Angel Hair

Yes, you read that title correctly...the angel hair pasta was, indeed, grilled. Which is, I think it is safe to say, the first time anyone in my family has ever done that. I mean, it was boiled first, but seriously--how many people put pasta on the grill? Trendsetter right here. Grilled pasta, you heard it here first!

This weekend my little cousin, who is not in fact that little, left for her first year at college. Damn I miss those days. Not that I don't enjoy living and working in New York, but I don't think anyone can say that they don't miss college, where the major decision consists of what beer to buy and which frat party to go to first (cause obviously you were going to multiple.) Now my major decisions consist of work questions that could potentially waste hundreds OF thousands of dollars for clients and life questions that could potentially waste hundreds OR thousands of dollars for me (and I must say, the second one is much more stressful than the first, even if a few zeros are missing off the end.) 

Most of my professors were adjunct profs, so I often had one three hour class a week for courses that started at 6:00 p.m...meaning I had all day to do whatever I wanted, attend class for three hours and go to a bar. It was the life.

Seriously, it was. No waking up at 6:00 a.m. to fit in a quick gym session before heading to work for my standing 8:30 a.m. meeting. No deciding if working late means I should order a fattening meal to the office or wait until I can go home to cook a healthy meal.  And no stressing, like I have been this week, about whether my new bedspread matches the rug I just bought (yes, I am redecorating my apartment! And I'm very excited about it)

Anyway, those were the good old days. However, I found a career I feel fulfilled in and a hobby (Sea Salt n Pepa) that I absolutely love. And, when I'm not looking back with rose-colored glasses, I was also 100% ready to graduate my senior year and move on to real life. 

Plus, I went to school in Nashville and there wasn't a beach within a thousand miles. And you know how I feel about my beach time...

Grilled Shrimp Gremolata with Angel Hair



Ingredients

1 large bunch Italian parsley
1 large bunch basil
4 cloves garlic
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 lb+ peeled and deveined shrimp ( I made the mistake of getting shrimp with the veins in and MAN was that awful to do)
2 cartons of cherry tomatoes
1 box of angel hair
Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. In a food processor, combine parsley, basil, garlic and olive oil. The mixture should be thicker than basil. Smear the mixture on the shrimp and marinate for about an hour.



2. Create individual "baking dishes" with tin foil. Put a pile of marinated shrimp in the center of each and add additional olive oil. Put on the grill on medium-high and begin to cook the shrimp.

3. Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to boil and cook the angel hair to very al dente (about a minute less than you normally would for al dente). 



4. Once the shrimp has started cooking, throw a handful of cherry tomatoes into each. 

5. After the tomatoes have had time to cook, add your angel hair to the "baking dishes". Mix the whole dish together, mashing the tomatoes so their juices run. Add more olive oil, as needed, to create a sauce.



6. Serve the individual dishes on plates (less clean up!) and add a bit of grated parmesan to the top. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment