Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Soy-Lime Glazed Salmon with Julienned Veggies

In September I will be visiting San Francisco for the first time and I am super excited! San Fran is my mum's absolute favorite city and my brother and his girlfriend were there a few weeks ago for a wedding and also adored it. Plus I mean...that is where Full House, the hands down best show ever, was filmed so it must be absolutely amazing.

I've already started looking for restaurants to try while we're there. My number one was Chez Panisse, but sadly we will not have a car and thus can't drive to Berkeley (next time, fo' sho'). Instead I hopefully see Hubert Keller's restaurant in my future. Can you say "yummm"?

Anyway, when discussion potential options with my travel partner, aka my aunt, she informed me of a very important prerequisite for any restaurant we may go to...it MUST offer salmon. Not exactly a deal breaker for me, as you can see from the numerous recipes featuring salmon on this site. I mean, I love me some salmon.

However, I am apparently in for quite a treat. Due to budget constraints (aka I'm 24 and living in Manhattan...aka I is poor), I usually stick to farm-raised Atlantic salmon. San Fran, being in the Northwest, is well-known for healthy, Californian cuisine, including wild Alaskan salmon. You know, the goooood kind. Obviously we will be consuming this in massive quantities.

The only problem is...I don't go to San Fran until late September. And I'm having a craving for salmon now!

So I made this amazingly simple, fast recipe (minus marinating, it only takes about 20 minutes!) featuring salmon (farm raised, sadly. Rent, you kill me). At least it will hold me over until my trip!


Soy-Lime Glazed Salmon with Julienned Vegetables




Ingredients:

4 oz. fillet of salmon for each person
1 summer squash
1 zucchini
Soy sauce
2 limes
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

Directions:



1. Create your marinade--put the salmon in a plastic bag and add soy sauce, until covered. Cut one lime in half and juice into the bag. Slice the other lime into thin strips and place on top of the salmon (the opposite of the skin side). Marinate for 20-30 minutes. Preheat your oven to 450F.

2. Meanwhile, julienne your veggies. Translation--cut your squash and zucchini into matchstick pieces. 



3. Remove the salmon from the bag and place on a tin-foil lined baking dish and place in your preheated oven. Place julienned vegetables on a foil-lined baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and top with salt and pepper. Toss. After the salmon has been in the oven for about 10 minutes, place the veggies in the oven.

4. While the salmon and veggies are cooking, pour the remaining marinade into a sauce pan and place on the stove top over medium-high heat. Bring to boil and reduce by a little more than a third.



5. Serve by putting the veggies on the plate and topping with the salmon. Drizzle the soy-lime glaze over top and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment