Monday, July 2, 2012

Balsamic Salmon with Apple and Kohlrabi Slaw

I've been eating like a queen lately, and this week will be no different. It's the Fourth of July!!! Sadly, it falls on a Wednesday, which means that we do not get a nice long week end. The positive, however, is that my lovely company allows me to work remotely, so I will be working from my aunt's on Thursday and Friday and get to stay down the shore the whole weekend! 

It also means that I will be cooking for a very large group of people from Tuesday to Sunday...which, as you can only guess, makes me VERY EXCITED! My mum, aunt and I have already been emailing each other all morning planning each days dinners so that I can turn it into a food shopping list that my fam can handle before I get down tomorrow. They buy, I cook. Pretty good deal if you ask me!

Sadly, my family is definitely not as obsessed with seafood as I am. So last week I had fish almost every single day to get my craving filled. This was a recipe I made with the kohlrabi from one of the early weeks of my CSA. For those of you who are wondering, this is a kohlrabi:



I'll be entirely honest, when I got that thing I basically stared at it and was like...huh? But one of the positives of belonging to a CSA, besides you know, the vegetable part, is that one of the farmers is inevitably on-site during pick up to answer your questions. And you can only imagine how many questions all of the members had about kohlrabi! He explained that kohlrabi, aka the German turnip, and that the taste is similar to a broccoli stem but milder and sweeter. I think it tastes a bit like a cross between a radish and an apple. I decided to make it into a slaw because, really, even if I didnt like it, basically anything is good in a slaw. True? true. I'll admit this is barely a slaw, but because I was worried I wouldn't like the kohlrabi I didn't want to buy a ton of ingredients and waste money to just throw it out. Next time I'll be making one that has more depth of flavor, but this added a nice crunch to the salmon.


Balsamic Salmon with Apple and Kohlrabi Slaw



Ingredients:

4-6 oz. piece of salmon, per person
Balsamic vinegar
Olive oil
Fresh herbs (I used basil and parsley)
1/2 kohlrabi
1/2 apple ( I used a Gala apple)
Salt and pepper

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Place tinfoil on a baking tray. Marinate your salmon in a mix of balsamic vinegar, oil and herbs for 10 minutes. Roast salmon for about 12 minutes, or until it flakes easily with a fork.

2. Slice the kohlrabi and apple into long, vertical, thin strips. Salt and pepper and allow to sit on a paper towel--this will let the kohlrabi and apple get even crispier. Once the salmon is cooked, toss the sliced fruit/veg in 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar. Serve slaw on top of the salmon.

No comments:

Post a Comment