Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Our Fourth of July Picnic

the picnic spread

Quite a bit of food we had for the Fourth of July, no?

Independence Day has always been one of my favorite holidays. No, not cause I'm a history buff (although, if I do say so myself, I kind of am.) And no, we didn't get any presents for it which makes it surprising I was such a fan as a kid because, let's be honest, most kids are fans of the holidays with gifts (e.g. Christmas presents, Easter baskets, etc.) 

But I mean, COME ON. You know what Fourth of July has? Fireworks! And the beach! And FIREWORKS! And burgers, hotdogs, apple pie! Need I continue? It's the perfect holiday for kids. 

I remember back in the day, my uncle owned a boat, the Trio. On the Fourth, we would all trek to the boat and go out on the water and watch the fireworks from the other side. It was such a different perspective than sitting on the beach. And we always had front row seats! 

This year, we had tons of food. And, like Memorial Day, Independence Day is a day to splurge. So that food included hotdogs and hamburgers. And not just hotdogs and hamburgers, but chili cheese dogs! And bacon wrapped hotdogs! And burgers with sauteed onions and chili! If anyone at the table was on a diet, they were out of luck.

Well...ok that's not quite true. Although we had all that, we also had multiple salads and veggie sides. But still, who cares about those (I do, for one, so look for those posts coming this week). 

I hope everyone else had a fabulous Fourth of July with their families, friends and fireworks!

the grill...on fire (bacon fat, whoopsies!)


No comments:

Post a Comment