Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Wild Mushroom Ravioli with Sage Butter Sauce

Sometimes, you go on a health food kick and eat omega-3s until you think you're going to turn the same pink as your salmon. When you "splurge", it means you eat two handfuls of almonds rather than just one. 

Other times, you just want some damn pasta. 

The past month or so, I've been chugging along eating perfectly healthy food and not looking back. This past week, however, I've had a bit of stress due to work, and I'm the type of half-Italian where, when I get stressed, the only thing I want is pasta. Spaghetti with meatballs, penna a la vodka, bolognese...you name it, it would be the only thing to satisfy me.

Enter stage right...wild mushroom ravioli. One of my favorite raviolis (in a tie with red pepper ravioli and, obviously, lobster ravioli. But wild mushroom ravioli might be considered, in some circles, healthy (I'm not sure where these circles are located, but I would like to go to them immediately). Enter stage left...butter. Pure, unadulterated, delicious butter. But that would be a little too fattening, so obviously the only solution is to toss in some fresh herbs. Cause fresh herbs make everything a bit healthier right? No? Oh. Well. Good thing I already devoured this then...

Wild Mushroom Ravioli with Sage Butter Sauce



Ingredients

1 package fresh wild mushroom ravioli (or porcini ravioli)
Drizzle olive oil
Package of fresh sage
1/2 a stick of butter
Small spoonful of flour
Salt and pepper
Grated Parmesan

Directions



1. Bring a pot full of water to a boil. Cook ravioli according to package directions (it should be around five minutes or so).



2. Heat a sauce pan over medium flame. Add a drizzle of olive oil. Slowly add 1/2 a stick of butter into the pan, in pieces about 1/2 an inch thick. Stir the butter constantly so that it does not burn or begin to brown. Throw in sage--I like sage a lot, so I added about 15 leaves or so. Salt and pepper the sauce and add a small spoonful of flour, which will thicken the sauce a bit. The sauce is complete when the butter is completely melted.



3. Serve the pasta with sauce poured over. Top with grated Parmesan.


And that, my dear readers, is the way to go from a frantic ball of stress...to one sleepy woman. Add a glass of white wine (or even red--the mushroom ravioli can handle it), and you're guaranteed a night without worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment