Thursday, June 21, 2012

BLAT sandwiches

This past weekend, as I said, was both my dad's birthday and Father's Day. So of course...I hung out with my mom.

Just kidding, it wasn't on purpose. Although it totally did happen. My parents recently joined a country club (you may remember on Mother's Day I played in the scramble) and over the weekend they had a father/son tournament. My brother came down from New York for the day and the two of them played 18 holes with one of my dad's close friends and his stepson. Since it was a tournament, of course the course was backed up, so the two of them ended up being gone from about 9 a.m. until we met them for drinks at 3:30ish!

Which left a lot of quality time for me and my mum to hang out. We took my dog to get her stitches out (happy to report that the report on the tumor the vet removed came back--not malignant!), walked around Suburban Square, got my mum's wedding ring cleaned, went food shopping...and ate an absolutely delicious lunch.

For the past couple of weeks, I've been having a serious craving for a BLAT sandwich. Now, knowing my mom, and her obsession with bacon (seriously, she even admits it!), I was pretty positive that I could get her on the boat. I subtly mentioned it while we were in the car on the way to the farmer's market and, I kid you not, within two seconds she was planning what kind of bread to get and where to get the bacon. We were a couple of kids in a candy store!!!

On top of having the amazing sandwich, it was an absolutely gorgeous day out. We sat outside on our deck and just hung out, listening to music and chatting. At one point I distinctly remember turning to her and saying, "this...this whole thing right now...is really working for me." My mum knew exactly what I meant. It was one of those unplanned mother/daughter moments that I'll remember for a long time to come.

Now, a BLAT sandwich is a BLT with the amazing addition of avocado. Since there's only a handful of ingredients, it is absolutely essential to get good ones. We purchased bacon from an Amish farm, low-carb honey bread (ps how the hell can bread be low carbs?) from a bakery and the veggies from a small farm. And it was AMAZING.

BLAT Sandwich


Ingredients (for one sandwich):



2 slices of flavorful bread
2 thick slices of bacon
Tomato (amount depends on the size of the tomato)
1/2 avocado
2 pieces of romaine lettuce
Mayo

Directions:


1. Heat pan over medium-high heat and cook bacon to preference (we like ours pretty cooked).


2. Toast bread in a toaster oven. Once toasted, add a dollop of mayo to each side--make sure not to add too much, you will get a lot of creaminess from the avocado.


3. Slice your tomato and lettuce to fit your sandwich. Slice and remove avocado from peel, keeping it in long strips. For hints on how to do this, check out this post.


4. Build your sandwich. Place one piece of lettuce on each piece of bread. On one side, add the bacon--we broke ours in half so that it would fit. On the other, add the sliced tomatoes and avocado. Put the two sides together and enjoy.


As a warning, this sandwich tends to get messy...especially if you pack it high like I did! My recommendation? Get into it, pick up the bits that fall off, continually rebuild your sandwich...whatever you need to get all of this deliciousness into your gullet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment