Sunday, June 10, 2012

Meal Planning Sunday


It is officially summer. And by that I mean...it is grossly hot in NYC and getting in the subway is painful. Yayyy summer!


It also means that anyone who lives in the city does their damnedest to get OUT of the city every single weekend. I am definitely one of those people. Every Friday I head straight from work to the train station to catch a train either down the shore or to my parent's house. This past weekend was only slightly different...I caught the train first thing Saturday morning. I know, living large!!


The problem with catching a train every single weekend is that, inevitably, some troublesome issue happens. Take today. It took me 3 hours and two trains to get from Philly to New York. And I was one of the lucky ones! Amtrak trains were delayed (get this) four PLUS hours because of a signal issue in a tunnel near D.C. I walked into 30th Street Station for my afternoon train and, no joke, saw trains from 9:00 a.m. were still listed on the board. No train after 11:00 a.m. was even up there. The station was packed with people stuck and the line to talk to an agent easily had 100 people on it. 


Luckily, I (kind of) know what I'm doing. And what I don't know, my parents do (hi mum and dad!). So instead of sitting on my butt waiting for an Amtrak or going back to my parent's house with the question of how/when I'd actually get back to NYC, I took a fairly roundabout way to get back to the city involving multiple tickets, a couple of trains and one fairly interesting conductor. But, whatever, I'm here aren't I! Oh, and once I did get back into the city, half the roads in the upper west side were closed because of the Tony's! Today=not my day.


However, I did bring back lots of food...protein, as always. I brought back dover sole (which I had tonight), a ny strip steak, veal chop, two chicken breasts and a pound of ground veal/pork/beef mix. Which pretty much rounds out my food shopping, since last week started by CSA! Sadly, I don't have pictures because I hit a camera setting that screwed everything up, but am thrilled to report that the bonus pick-up last week included one summer squash, one zucchini, radishes, turnips, broccoli, head lettuce, kohlrabi (what is this, you may ask? Well, I'm asking the exact same question), tatsoi (which seems similar to spinach) and cilantro.


AND I bought two things I've been dying to have in my kitchen and they took the trek back to the city with me--a new grill pan and a salad spinner (it's the little things in life). So obviously my food this week will a) be cooked on my new pan and b) be made with all of my food. Here's to the week being better than today.


Monday: steak (grilled on my new pan!) with kale, broccoli and mashed potatoes


Tuesday: Italian stuffed veal chop with julienned summer veggies


Wednesday: spinach and ricotta chicken with head lettuce salad


Thursday: artichoke and red pepper ravioli with vodka sauce


I go home this weekend again for my dad's birthday and Father's Day (how convenient that they're one after the other, right!) so will correct my camera settings and have lots of new posts coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment