Tuesday, June 12, 2012

My New Grill Pan!

As I reported in Sunday's post on my menu planning, I bought a couple of new things for my kitchen, including (I wish I could adequately convey my excitement) a grill pan!!!



I've been dying to get a grill pan for...well I won't embarrass myself by explaining how long, but suffice to say it's been a while. And, to be honest, I'm not really sure what stopped me from buying one. Possibly I was afraid that, like with a real grill, I wouldn't know what to do with it (which is absolutely ridiculous, since it's basically just a pan with raised edges. Possibly I was poor and more interested in buying clothes than kitchen appliances (I know, how I've grown up). Possibly I was just too lazy and forgetful and moments after thinking how much better something would be on a grill pan I forgot it. Who knows, all I know is that I am now a proud owner of a grill pan. Eat your heart out Dad!

So obviously the first thing I wanted to do this week was test out my pan! Sadly, I had work. I know, how annoying is that! Don't they understand I have a new toy to play with! Sheesh. So all day I sat at work dreaming of my grill pan and my (the only real choice to test anything to do with a grill out) NY strip steak waiting for me.

When I did (finally, in my opinion) get to test out the pan, I have to tell you...it was everything I dream of. Perfect grill marks, done INSIDE. My entire existence has turned on its axis. I'm looking around at a whole new world people!

too much? Could be...

Here is one of the simplest recipes for a quick work-night dinner. If anyone is with you, call it:
Grilled NY Strip with Mashed Potatoes and Steamed Broccoli

If you're eating alone, then don't lie to yourself:
Grill(panned) NY Strip with (refrigerated) Mashed Potatoes and Steamed (ok microwaved) Broccoli

It's allllll about presentation people. And speaking of which, this recipe will not be explained via numbers and ingredients like normally. Just check out the pictures folks.



the raw strip
vigorously salted and peppered


side numero uno (after its been flipped)
spray grill pan with PAM olive oil spray
place over medium-high heat
once hot, place steak on the pan


perfectly cooked, with grill marks, after only about 10 minutes
you should only turn the steak once so that it gets a good crust, although I rotated it to achieve those grill marks


raw broccoli
I'm actually famous for my microwaved broccoli so...you're welcome
chop and place in bowl with about a tbsp of water
microwave for 2 minutes
remove from microwave, add a drizzle of olive oil (enough that each piece gets a bit) and toss
microwave for another minute


the best refrigerated mashed potatoes in the world
seriously
go buy them
i'll wait
...

back yet?

...

ok, here we go!


trick: after the three minutes in the microwave, add butter and mix up
then nuke for another minute to get hot

::you can keep doing this until you're out. just scoop onto plate, add a little nugget of butter and microwave for about a minute::


the finished plate!
Fancy, huh?
Steakhouse ready
All done in...15 minutes or less.

No comments:

Post a Comment